GOV.UK Verify Process
At RPS Assist, we want to help make your claims for redundancy payments online as easy as possible. We have outlined everything that you need to know about claiming redundancy payment after your employer has gone into insolvency.
You make your claim for redundancy and monies owed on the UK Government website.
Before the UK Government can make a payment to you, it must verify your identity. You can do this online using the free GOV.UK Verify online service.
If you choose not to use GOV.UK Verify, additional checks will be required and your payment may take longer to arrive. Using GOV.UK Verify also allows you to return to a claim you started earlier and keep track of your process.
What the process involves
Before the process begins, you will see 4 pages. These explain that:
- To verify your identity, you will need a UK passport, photo card driving license, or bank statement.
- This free service stops anyone else from pretending to be you, helping to prevent identity theft.
- Verifying your identity takes about 10 minutes.
- After you finish the Verify process you will have an identity account with your certified company that can be used for other Government websites.
What will you need to provide?
After you select the ‘Start now’ button, you will be asked for the following information:
- Your documents: a UK photo card driving license, a UK passport, or a passport from another country.
- Do you have a mobile phone or tablet? (Yes / No)
- Can you install apps on your device? (Yes / No / I Don’t Know)
- Are you 19 or over? (Yes / No)
- Have you moved to the UK in the last 12 months? (Yes / No)
Based on your answers, Verify will tell you which companies can verify you. Select one from the list. Next, you'll see a page that will direct you to the company page you have selected.
The Verify process may vary depending on the company you choose. You will be asked for personal information, some of which is not generally available. Answer all of the questions that you can.
- Choose a username, password, and provide your email address
- Confirm your email address
- Enable 2-step login using a text message or authenticator app
- Provide your current details including your name, date of birth, and gender
- Provide your address and how long you have lived there
- Verify your identity using a mobile app or website
- Upload your identity evidence documents
- Financial details
- Driving license
- Answer security questions, for example:
- When did you last take out a personal mortgage?
- When did you last open a personal current account?
- How long have you had a personal mobile phone contract with your current provider?
After you have completed this process, the next page will confirm that you have completed your registration. You can then click a link to return to GOV.UK Verify and complete the process.
The next step in the process is to make your claim. Find out more on the Make Your Claim page.